Monday, August 2, 2010

Wasatch Back, Baby!

 Last summer my cousin Natalie Anderton asked  a simple question, "Would you like to run the Wasatch Back with me next summer?"  I laughed and said, "I'm not really a runner, so if you don't mind a 12 minute mile on your team,  sure, sounds fun."  This simple question became a focus of my year beginning in January.  Because in January I realized my first leg was 7 miles mostly uphill, and thought "What did I get into?!" So I began running 10 minutes at a time for a few weeks, then 20, then 30, then worked up to an hour at a time.  I have a love/hate relationship with running - I don't particularly enjoy the actual run, but love the ENERGY and PATIENCE it gives me.  I am a better mother when I run.  And I love a good goal.  I am trying to make the most of the time I am not pregnant or nursing, and I certainly wouldn't run 4-5 times a week if I didn't have a motivator.

Steve was extremely supportive during my hours training and loaded me up with some great songs on my I-Pod.  And sweet Katie next to me on a treadmill over and over at the gym saying YOU CAN DO IT, after I'd gripe that "I can't believe I signed up for this I don't even like running!" The kids were also great about going to the gym in the winter, then waiting outside for me to finish my morning runs when the weather got better.  I loved rounding the corner to our house and seeing Kali and Blake sitting in their jammies on the front porch, cheering me in and 'helping' me stretch.

We decided it was best if I take the kids to UT and Steve stayed and worked.  Thanks to my Mom and Dad for keeping the kiddos for the 3 day event!  So we loaded up in the car and first drove to Laramie for a fun visit with Choo-choo Grandma.

 Blake had a blast playing with Grandma's fly-swatter, getting all the imaginary flies Grandma pointed out.  He was giggling so hard.

 Thank goodness for BK and some good car games, books and movies.  The kids were really good during the trip!  I got the kids settled at Mom and Dad's house and headed to SLC for a pre-game meet the team dinner at Olive Garden.  The Wasatch Back consists of a 12 person team running 3 legs each for a total of 188 miles from Logan to Park City.  Each team is divided into 2 vans.  Our van began the run at 5:30 Friday morning so we spent Thurs night in a hotel in Logan.  Let the games begin!

 This was bright and early Friday morning all ready to run.  This was my first race where someone else would care about my time.  Anything I've run before I've done for me, but I didn't want to let the team down.  Luckily, everyone was pretty low key about the overall team finish time, so there was no pressure, but I still wanted to do well. The girls in my van were awesome - fun, flexible, able to push themselves to the max on little sleep and food and still be kind and patient and wonderful.
 I was runner number 2 - I started my first leg around 7:45 that morning.  The weather was perfect, I ran my personal best time and gave it everything I had for the 7 miles - it was my favorite leg.
 There were 1200 teams competing and the vans everyone were driving in and the team names were HILARIOUS.  I think I need to get out more, because I couldn't stop laughing at some of the vans.
 Some of the costumes were outrageous - I'll spare you the photo of the all male team who ran in speedos.
 
 The scenery was absolutely beautiful and the team support was awesome.  For most legs, the van could drive beside you and cheer you on, offer drinks, ring the cow bell, etc.  My second leg went pretty good - it was just HOT.

 We rested where and when we could (this is one of the exchange points - Snow Basin Ski Resort) and ate where and when we could.    I never thought I would equate getting 3 hours of sleep on the cement floor of a high school auditorium to sleeping at the Hilton.  I've never been so glad to crawl into a warm sleeping bag safe from the threat of sprinklers turning on at 4 am.  However, when I woke up from this delightful sleep and gasped in pain as I stretched my legs out I thought, this next leg is going to be sweet.  We passed out Ben-gay and Vitamin I (Ibuprofen, taught to me by an experienced marathoner) that morning without hesitation.

After the 3-hour-sleep-nausea and 4 am chill wore off, the only thing I could think  during my last leg as I was limping along was a saying seen on a van - "Running is mental - we are all CRAZY."
We ran into the night and in the early hours of the morning, navigating exchange points, hydration, restroom stops, etc.

One of the coolest parts was that Anna was running it at the same time with the high school cross country team!  My sister is awesome!  She was asked to fill in only 2 weeks before and she kicked trash!  She did such a great job and it was awesome to share the experience with her - text each other during the race, cheer each other on and give support.  And massages the next day when we could hardly walk.
 I saw all these fabulous women and mothers push themselves to do something great (ok, not pioneer great, but great for me).  I started crying near the end of my third leg, not because of the searing pain shooting through my right knee with each step,  but because I had DONE IT!  I had pushed past pain, tiredness, a busy life, set a goal and completed it.  It was really a great feeling.
 Showers were very welcomed at the end of the race along with a good night's sleep.  I can't wait to do it again!  

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Great Job! What an achievement! Call me if you want to to the bike for the triathlon. ( I will swim and Mist will run)

Jamie said...

I loved reading about your experience and seeing some pictures...seeing the different vans is one of my favorite parts about it too! And I totally "get" the trying to make the most of the non-prego or nursing times :) Way to go!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Julie, that is AWESOME!!

Tyrel said...

Good for you! That's a tough run.

Marsha said...

Julie, NICE HAMSTRINGS!!! I'm so impressed by your dedication!